As a former teacher, I love visiting schools and talking to young readers! I am happy to tailor my presentations to meet the specific needs of your students: I offer hands-on workshops as well as assembly-style presentations, and as a native bilingual in Spanish and English I can speak in either language (or both). I travel throughout the country and also offer virtual visits.
I am also available for keynotes and presentations at educator conferences and professional development events.
For detailed information please visit my booking page or download the program guide.
Contact Lisa Nadel at Lonni Lane Marketing to book your visit
- REINA RAMOS WORKS IT OUT!: New! (Grades K-3): This presentation introduces kids to Reina Ramos and her community. Kids will learn about the famous people in the book, like Celia Cruz, Frida Kahlo, and Roberto Clemente, and talk about how Reina and her best friend Lila work out a disagreement. The presentation will include an engaging reading and Q&A.
- SOFÍA ACOSTA MAKES A SCENE: New! (Grades 3 & up): Emma will explore the central themes of her new book, including sibling rivalry, immigration history, life in the suburbs, and, of course, ballet. Kids will learn about how the dance traditions of the United States and Latin America are intertwined. Sofía develops into an outspoken advocate as she discovers her family’s immigration story and her own voice, so this presentation is ideal for immigration units and classes exploring change-making and activism.
- SILVER MEADOWS SUMMER: (Grades 3 & up): In this presentation about family, friendship, and immigration, Emma will talk to students about the personal experiences that inspired Silver Meadows Summer: growing up Cuban-American, spending summers with family in Puerto Rico, and falling in love with farms and forests while working in upstate New York.
- MARTÍ’S SONG FOR FREEDOM: (Grades 3 & up): This presentation introduces students to the culture of Cuba and the very important connections between Latin America and the United States. Emma will discuss the power of change-makers like José Martí and the value of poetry and literature as bridges between cultures.
- SECRETS OF THE SILVER LION: A CARMEN SANDIEGO STORY: (Grades 3 & up): Students will learn about the real-life culture and history that inspired Carmen Sandiego’s latest quest, as well as the research smarts Carmen uses to crack the secrets of the silver lion. Emma will invite questions about international travel, historical research, writing original stories about favorite characters, and growing up bilingual and bicultural.
- A SLED FOR GABO: (Grades K-3): Emma will talk to students about diverse snow day traditions, and how her experiences differed from other children’s when she was growing up. The group will discuss the challenges and joys of making new friends in a community, particularly if you feel left out at times. She will also introduce the Latin American treats in A Sled for Gabo, such as dulce de leche and guava.
- POETRY WRITING WORKSHOP: (Grades 4 & up): This workshop uses Robert Frost and Antonio Machado’s poetry (each quoted in Silver Meadows Summer) as models to help students express their hopes and fears through poetry. The group will brainstorm emotions, fears, and dreams, then write a mimic poem. To conclude, students are invited to write a free verse poem.
- CHANGE-MAKERS WORKSHOP: (Grades 3 & up): The workshop begins with brainstorming important figures in history and how they changed the world, and ends with the group writing newspaper headlines and letters from the perspective of historical figures. Students, particularly students from diverse backgrounds, have the opportunity to integrate their own heroes and role models into this workshop.
WRITING WORKSHOPS / WRITING MENTORSHIPS
- ONE ON ONE MENTORSHIPS: Have you ever wondered how children’s books are made? Do you love reading children’s books to the kids in your life? Do you have a great idea but the thought of writing an entire book is daunting? Have you been working on a manuscript but don’t know how books get published? I work with a select group of writers on learning the book industry and mastering the art of writing for kids.
Sign Up for my Writer’s List to learn more about writing workshops and mentorship opportunities.